Instructions for the Aquarium and Pond use of Sodium Thiosulfate Crystals
Instructions for treating most tap water with stock solution:
Water sources with very high chloramine or high pH values may result in toxic levels of ammonia released from the chloramine after using Sodium Thiosulfate solution. Test a volume of water by dosing with Sodium Thiosulfate solution and then perform an ammonia test using standard aquarium or pond test kit. If the ammonia is too high, use another product to remove ammonia such as Ammo Lock or Amquel (there are many others). Alternatively, use ammonia removing media or run an active biological filter prior to adding any fishes or other sensitive organisms. Many municipal water supplies will not require ammonia removal.
Standard drop-wise/teaspoon solutions:
Dissolve the dry crystals in water and use the solution to remove chlorine/chloramine from tap water. Use one drop of the solution per gallon of tap water (or one teaspoon per 100 gallons). Water with high chlorine content may require more. You can use two drops if you're not sure about your water supply. The crystal dosages below are measured by dry weight not volume. The solution measurements are liquid volume. Make up the stock solutions following these guidelines:
Dechlor Crystals - 0.5 oz crystals - Makes 1 cup (8 oz)(236 ml) stock solution
Dechlor Crystals - 2 oz crystals - Makes 1 qt (32 oz)(4 cups)(946 ml) stock solution
Dechlor Crystals - 4 oz crystals - Makes 0.5 gal (64 oz)(8 cups)(1893 ml) stock solution
Dechlor Crystals - 8 oz crystals - Makes 1 gal (128 oz)(16 cups)(3785 ml) stock solution
Dechlor Crystals - 1 lb (16 oz) crystals - Makes 2 gal (256 oz)(32 cups)(7571 ml) stock solution
Dechlor Crystals - 5 lb (80 oz) - Makes 10 gal (1280 oz)(160 cups)(37855 ml) stock solution
Dechlor Crystals - 10 lb (160 oz) - Makes 20 gal (2560 oz)(320 cups)(75710 ml) stock solution
Instructions for Large Volume Use:
(By adding crystals directly to the /tank water)
When municipal water is used for aquaculture or aquariums, use sodium thiosulfate for instant neutralization of chlorine/chloramine. Dosage rates vary with the pH of the water; however, rates between 1.6 to 2.6 parts sodium thiosulfate per 1 part chlorine should be adequate. To calculate the minimum amount needed for a given change, test a sample of the water to be adjusted:
1. Collect five gallons of water and test for chlorine levels.
2. Dissolve 1/4 tsp sodium thiosulfate into sample.
3. Retest total chlorine levels. If chlorine is not detected, the dosage rate is 1/4 tsp per five gallons of water in system.
4. If desired results are not achieved, dissolve another 1/4 tsp. of sodium thiosulfate and retest to determine change. Continue to add sodium thiosulfate in 1/4 tsp. increments, testing sample after sodium thiosulfate is completely dissolved, until desired results are achieved.
Caution: pH will affect dosage rates, so adjust pH of water of subsequent treatments to match pH of water of past treatment where dosage was derived, or retest following above procedures.
Note: one cup equals 48 tsp.
Excess sodium thiosulfate up to 100 parts per million will not harm fish.
- Dechlor Crystals Chlorine Remover Water Conditioner
- Dechlor Crystals (sodium thiosulfate) are the active chlorine-removing ingredient in the brand name water conditioners.
- Dechlor Crystals - 0.5 oz - Makes 1 cup (8 oz)(236 ml) - $0.50
- 8 oz of solution treats 4787 gallons of tap water.
- Dechlor Crystals - 2 oz - Makes 1 qt (32 oz)(4 cups)(946 ml) - $1.50
- 32 oz of solution treats 19188 gallons of tap water.
- Dechlor Crystals - 4 oz - Makes 0.5 gal (64 oz)(8 cups)(1893 ml) - $2.00
- 64 oz of solution treats 38397 gallons of tap water.
Dechlor Crystals - 8 oz - Makes 1 gal (128 oz)(16 cups)(3785 ml) - $3.65
- 128 oz of solution treats 76774 gallons of tap water.
- Dechlor Crystals - 1 lb (16 oz) - Makes 2 gal (256 oz)(32 cups)(7571 ml) - $6.00
- 256 oz of solution treats 153569 gallons of tap water.
- Dechlor Crystals - 5 lb (80 oz) - Makes 10 gal (1280 oz)(160 cups)(37855 ml) - $20.00
- 1280 oz of solution treats 767849 gallons of tap water.
- Dechlor Crystals - 10 lb (160 oz) - Makes 20 gal (2560 oz)(320 cups)(75710 ml) - $32.00
- 2560 oz of solution treats 1535699 gallons of tap water.
Jonah's Aquarium Menu
Home Contents Fish List Books Ordering Gift Certificates Talk to us Articles Photo Gallery Shop Directory